Nov 26, 2022
Hon. Jim Carroll has substantial experience as a legal advisor to two White House administrations, federal government agencies, and a Fortune 25 company. He counsels clients on complex and sensitive issues involving government and internal investigations, corporate ethics and compliance programs, and white collar defense.
In his 30-plus years as an attorney and a Washington insider, Jim has also built a reputation as a go-to choice for strategic business and policy counseling. In addition to his role as a Partner at Michael Best, Jim is also a principal at Michael Best Consulting LLC. Previously, Jim was a co-founder and principal of DC Consulting LLC, a consulting firm specializing in public health, pharmaceutical and substance abuse and regulatory risk involving law enforcement issues.
Earlier in his career, Jim spent a decade as in-house counsel at Ford Motor Company where for many years he was the Company’s Global Director of Compliance. Jim also served as the nation’s “Drug Czar” for three years, following his unanimous confirmation by the United States Senate.
Jim’s significant federal government and legal experience include the following:
- Starting in 2018, served for three years as the Director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy after being unanimously confirmed by the United States Senate. Under Jim’s leadership as the “US Drug Czar”, the U.S. saw its first year-over-year decrease in overdose deaths in 30 years.
- Served in a number of high-profile posts at the White House between 2016 to 2018, including roles as Deputy Chief of Staff and Deputy White House Counsel.
- Appointed General Counsel of the U.S. Office of Management and Budget.
- Spent 10 years as a legal advisor to the Ford Motor Company. Jim served as the automaker’s Washington Counsel and Global Director of Compliance. During Jim’s tenure there, Ford was named one of the “World’s Most Ethical Companies” for three consecutive years by Ethisphere Institute. Jim was also General Counsel to the Ford Motor Company Fund, the company’s philanthropic arm.
- Served as Deputy General Counsel and Acting General Counsel to the U.S. Department of the Treasury.
- Served as Associate Counsel and Special Assistant to the President between 2002 to 2004.
- Attorney at the Department of Justice, Office of Legal Policy.
Selected as Assistant Ethics Counsel in the White House Office of Counsel to the President.
- Served as Attorney Advisor to the Department of Justice, Executive Office for United States Attorneys.
Jim began his legal career as a prosecutor in the Virginia Commonwealth Attorney’s Office in Fairfax, VA. He went on to serve as Assistant Bar Counsel for the Virginia State Bar before transitioning his career to the federal level.